When it comes to hormones and health we usually direct our attention to the ladies. But today, well, this one is for the guys. Back in the day I could kick a punching bag like the guy in the picture can. I mean I could at least imagine myself doing that. I always did have a vivid imagination. Ughmmm… Anyhow…
Testosterone… you know it’s an important hormone when it comes to “being a man.” So what about low testosterone? What are the symptoms? How to boost?
In my opinion, low T in men is an underdiagnosed problem in our society today. Beginning at about age 30, testosterone begins to gradually decline as men advance in years. Men of course are part of the problem as generally they don’t consider their health as much as do the ladies. We’re just too tough to get health care we need! Anyway, here are some things you should know.
Effects/Symptoms of Low Testosterone
- Hair loss
- Fatigue/lack of energy
- Increase in body fat/inability to lose that “tire” around your waist
- Mood changes – Men with low T are more likely to experience depression, irritability, low self-esteem, and lack of focus.
- Loss of muscle mass
- Low sex drive
- Sleep disturbances
Tips to Boost your Testosterone Levels
- Watch one of my favorite all time movies: “Rocky” (Just kidding! Then again, maybe it will help J)
- Lose weight
- Incorporate high-intensity exercise into your weekly schedule
- Consider taking a zinc supplement. Zinc is important for testosterone production.
- Optimize your Vitamin D levels. This is necessary for healthy sperm count and quality as well as increasing testosterone levels.
- Reduce stress
- Limit (or better yet, eliminate) sugar from your diet. Testosterone levels decrease after you eat sugar!
- Eat healthy fats
- Consider taking the herb Ashwangandha. Don’t worry, I didn’t pronounce it right the first time I read about it either!
For more in-depth information about the above, consider scheduling a consult. We can review your symptoms and health history and order some testing. Once we see exactly what’s going on inside your body, we can give you a customized protocol to put you on the right track.
For you ladies reading this, if you suspect your man has low testosterone it is important for him to get tested. Encourage him to take action. If he is reluctant ask him, “What would Sylvester Stallone do?” J